About Me

My photo
I am the 45 year old mother of Josie (17), Jacob (14) and Fergus (11) and the wife of Mark. We live in Newhaven on beautiful Phillip Island with various animals including our dog Charlie. I am a recently trained teacher (third year in the classroom) who is busy juggling family, career and my journey to lose weight and be healthy. I have so many balls in the air . . . hopefully, one day I might catch one . . .

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Something has clicked . . . I hope!

Well two posts inside of a week--been a while since I've done that! But I'm really excited because I think I'm getting my groove back . . . yahhh! I have been telling myself that I really need to get back to tracking. For over a year, I was pretty religious about tracking. On school days, I usually eat the same sort of stuff and don't have much of an opportunity to eat anything else other than I what I bought to school (except for morning tea days), so what I've always done is track at the end of the day, then if I'd ticked all my boxes and had enough points left I'd have dessert or a glass of wine or something. The problem is that I often find that now I only get twenty, I often find that I'm already over by the time I write down my points grrrr! I do remember those glorious days of 25 points when I could hardly manage to eat it all!! Anyway, since school's gone back, I've hardly been tracking at all, which is SOOOO naughty. I DO know that tracking has been one of the keys to my success. Anyway, I was reading on Getting the Buzz Back's blog the other day about the need to focus on "baby steps" in order to get back on track and I thought to myself, what baby step is the most important for me? When I really thought about it, I decided that tracking is the most critical thing, so I decided to really zero in on tracking this week. Then I was reading Oopzadaisy's blog and she was relaying how she had set the goal to only have 3 treats a week and that struck a nerve with me too. I have a treat--a ww eclair or an icecream, or a glass of wine, or a muffin bar, usually EVERY DAY and at 20 points I just can't afford it anymore, so I decided to follow Oopzadaisy's lead and aim to have no more than 3 treats a week. That's enough baby steps to focus on for one week. One thing I have done differently this week, is that I've been entering my food the evening before. Then I know if I have only 1.5 points left for the day, if I have a few cashews when I'm packing my vego son's lunch, or a piece of bread when I'm making dinner, then I've used up my points for the day. And the amazing thing is that then I stop and think and decide, no I don't really want cashews now (they are HIDEOUSLY high in points) and I've actually been able to stay on points for 3 DAYS! This is the first time for ages. The small amount of weight I've lost (about 2kg) thisyear has been totally due to exercise.

The funny thing is that after being successful for 3 days, I feel really motivated and in control again. Not really rocket science, that I guess . . . a key component in motivating students is to helpf them to feel successful, of course. I do have a few important things coming up this weekend, catching up with old friends for pizza and a games night tomorrow, but, hey, I think I'll take tuna and lentil salad . . . do I really want to waste points on greasy take away pizza, especially because I make much nicer pizza myself at home? And on Saturday night, it's my baby girl's birthday party. Not a baby anymore, I'm afraid--it's the big 18th. How did that happen, I wonder. But still no excuse to eat.

Now I wish I had have gotten into the groove again a little earlier, then I might have been 75kg for our Bali trip, but ahwell. Getting the buzz was also saying about how goals connected with a date don't really work for her, and I'm a bit the same. It just makes me feel like a failure. But at this particular moment, I really feel like I will get to goal . . . some day, some time. And I need to remember that at least I've been maintaining my weight loss which is pivotal to long term success, I guess. So, apart from the fact that I haven't marked or analysed the stack of maths tests in front of me, or assembled our first term portfolios or planned my maths lesson (I AM SUCH A PROCRASTINATOR!) it's all good!!

Funnily enough, I'm not worried about gaining too much on the Bali trip. A few years ago, I went to Bali and didn't gain any weight, so I know it can be done. Generally portion sizes are quite small in Bali, I often choose Indonesian dishes which are generally healthy . . . an omelette and fruit platter for breakfast . . . fresh seafood for lunch. It's not really a hardship to eat sensibly. Importantly, I don't really drink much when I'm there. I'm not really a cocktail girl, as I find them to icky sweet (I do make an exception for a well-made Margarita, however!), and mainly I drink wine. In Bali the imported wine is very expensive and the local wine disgusting (IMO, anyway), er not hard to resist, I mean. So I mainly drink beer. The local BINTANG is quite low in alcohol and very refreshing, but I can't drink stacks of it, because I have to wee too much! Anyway, I'm confident I can have a great time and not do too much damage.

I don't know who will happen by this post. I can't believe the fact that I do have some loyal readers (Thanks!!), in spite of the fact that I'm one of the world's least reliable bloggers, but if you do happen to read, please let me know what you think about my hair colour . . . Because we have had a simply glorious summer, I've gone quite brown, inspite of my number 30 sunblock and hat! Last time I had my hair coloured, I had a few foils put in and went a bit lighter to do something different. Usually, because my hair has an inclination to go frizzy I usually only wash my hair every 4 days or so, but this summer I've been swimming several times a week, my hair has really faded. I'm having my hair done next week before I go away (I have quite tragic regrowth happening!) and I can't decide if I should stay lighter (I'll be swimming and in the sun in Bali, obviously) or does it look too fake (haven't been this light since I was about 3) and should I go darker again closer to my more natural colour (whatever that was!)

Here are some pics . . . would really value your opinion!

This is the "blonde"ish me at my cousin's wedding last weekend with Mark and my brother. I've been pretty much estranged from my brother for more than 5 years--this is only the third time I've seen him in that time. I'd had some champagne, so it wasn't that difficult. Maybe we can get to the point where it feels "normal" again, who knows. Probably he wouldn't be thrilled about having his pic on my blog, but it's the best example of my hair, so bad luck! BTW the wedding invitation said "Come in colour ", if you're wondering.

\

And the "darker" more natural me (I think!)





10 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lelly

    for what its worth, I like your hair darker!

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you look adorable both dark and lighter.
    You should just go with the colour that you love the most.
    AND stop hiding behind people in photos! You are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look gorgeous both ways Lesley, however I love the lighter as it compliments your lovely warm colouring.
    I have updated my ticker and posted about goal. I was making the announcement when I posted to you.lol Had forgotten about ticker though so thanks for hint.I have posted some recent pics too.
    I am so proud of you being back on track, you so have to set out and achieve your goal. I have been so close before and wished I had gone the extra mile because I could.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it either way I have to say! So glad you're finding your mojo again - it's a good feeling, isn't it?

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look beautiful in both pictures but I think you look more vibrant with lighter hair :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lesley, you've been tagged in photo tag! Go to my blog at www.weightingaround.com and see what you have to do! Have fun...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lesley just wanted to thank you for the super kind and thoughtful comments on my blog. You are so nice and helpful, I imagine one day (if you choose to) that you would be such an amazing leader! Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi I love your blog & read it regularly.
    I personally think Darker for you, it brings your eyes out & it just suits you.

    You have also pushed me back into tracking, thanks, I so needed a push, goodluck with this week & I hope you stay on track.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete