About Me

My photo
I am the 45 year old mother of Josie (17), Jacob (14) and Fergus (11) and the wife of Mark. We live in Newhaven on beautiful Phillip Island with various animals including our dog Charlie. I am a recently trained teacher (third year in the classroom) who is busy juggling family, career and my journey to lose weight and be healthy. I have so many balls in the air . . . hopefully, one day I might catch one . . .

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Sober October

Well . . . yes, I finally lost that 100g!! Bye, bye 30 kilos. Then the very next thing I did was go and stay with a friend and drink buckets of champagne and gained it back again--plus a little extra!! I am having a lovely holiday and thanks to some serious dog-walking I re-lost the weight I've gained, so back at 82.5 again. However, I have been going out for lunch heaps and still drinking too much wine, so I haven't lost anymore. I hope to get my husband to show me how to put a picture of my graph in here . . . it looks pretty impressive, but it is obvious that the weight loss has slowed down massively. It took me 15 weeks to lose the last 5 kg. Better than not losing at all of course, but I can do better. I have posted before that I really seem to be slipping back into the habit of drinking more often, usually only a glass or two, and usually "pointed", but a glass or two more days than not and sometimes more on the weekend. So that's like 15 or maybe even 18 points extra a week. Perusing the weight watchers boards tonight I found a thread called "Sober October" so I signed up!! Just what I need. I'm actually quite excited!!

Just so I remember how I far I've come and how I never, ever want to go back, here's a picture of me pre-weight watchers, taken in 2005. My daughter and her lovely pony, Lyall (whose gone to God, now) are in the background.

Have a few other things to post about, but I'm soooooo tired, I'm planning on catching up tomorrow.



8 comments:

  1. WOW brave woman.. I saw that thread and just don't know if I could pull a whole month off. However saying that I too need to reduce my alcohol... drastically. One day at a time, hey?

    Good luck and yes I do want to meet you too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Leslie!!! I had to give up beer. I love beer. LOVE IT...and the atmosphere that goes along with it. Dwayne and I used to go the local pub about once a month, drink 4 or 5 beers and just kick back for a couple of hours and enjoy the company around us. We're both very social, so we've never met a stranger!! I do miss it....but what I'm trying to do with the weight loss is just too important. More important than the beer that was slowing me up!! It affects my exercise soooo bad for the next couple of days. Just not worth it. When I get to my goal...57 lbs away!...I plan on learning how to incorporate it into my maintenance plan. But for now...let's kick the wine and beer out the door and get down to business girlfriend!! :) (I still wish you posted more often! :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I spelled your name wrong...AGAIN!! Sorry!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lesley,
    I just found you via Tammy, and am so glad I did!
    First of all I just wanted to say that the before and after pictures are amazing! What a difference.
    As for the drinks, I hear you. One or two here, another there, and pretty soon they start adding up, along with the calories.
    I've been in a bit of a slump myself with the calories and weight loss coming to a halt. It's comforting to know I'm not the only one, and inspiring to know you're staying strong. Thanks for the much needed does of inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Leslie

    I do like a good Sav Blanc but have cut my wine consumption down which I am adjusting to reasonably well. Good for you for giving it up for a month. It will be interesting to see what the scales say over that period. Good luck. Martine

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know Lesley...I think the .6 I put on over the past 3 weeks was all alcohol! I hardly drink when I'm at home. I mean, who wants to drink alone? My DH doesn't drink so I don't bother. Although I have to admit...I've got a caramel vodka mud shake in the fridge at the moment. It's calling me. All 6 points of it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey chick, you have been a bit quiet.. how are you? Hope all is going well in your neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My blog is going private.. if you wish to still read it you need to send me an email address to: stewandchris@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete